Phil’s BBQ Beefy Ribs were my inspiration. We have established that I do not photograph my cooking projects, but let not thy heart be troubled….the recipe below is mouth-watering!
For the Braising Liquid:
- 3 lb rack beef ribs, cut in half/about 4 ribs per section (on sale this week at Safeway stores for $1.49/lb!)
- 1 c clear juice (I used white grape juice concentrate from a jar of peaches)
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T seasoned salt
- enough water to cover
For the Glaze:
- 2 c bottled barbecue sauce (feel free to make your own…I used Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey or molasses
- 2 T strong brewed coffee (or whatever is leftover in the french press from that morning)
- Layer the ribs in a large pot with the juice, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 1-1.5 hrs, or until the ribs are tender.
- Remove the ribs with tongs to a large dish (a roasting pan works well) and cool them enough to handle. Cut between the bones into single ribs. (The first 2 steps can be done a day ahead.)
- Preheat the grill. Meanwhile, mix the barbecue sauce, vinegar, honey, and coffee.
- Brush the ribs with the glaze and caramelize/char them slightly, turning every few minutes to re-glaze. (I glazed each side of mine twice, grilling for a total of about 15 minutes.)
- Grab a roll of paper towels and FEAST!